Comprehensive eye test of approximately 1 hour – R350.00
Prices for package options: Including eye test, lenses and
selected frame .
Contact Us for the Terms and Conditions that apply.
Eye exams are usually recommended every two years unless the individual is instructed to visit the optometrist every year. Usually contact lens wearers must visit the optometrist annually. If a patient suffers from any chronic conditions such as diabetes or hypertension, an eye exam must be done every year as conditions such as these might impact the eye health.
During our eye exam, vision is tested to determine the required strength of your glasses. We examine the eyes for common eye diseases, assess how your eyes work together and evaluate your eyes as an indicator of your overall health.
What does an eye exam entail?
Every individual’s eye tests may vary slightly according to age and specific needs. A common procedure includes the following:
- Case history: A thorough case history will be done to get a better understanding of your medical history.
- Visual acuity: A test to measure the sharpness of your vision.
- Colour vision: During this procedure, colour-deficiency or colour blindness are tested.
- Cover test: This test evaluates the eye alignment and whether the two eyes are working well together.
- Ocular eye movements: This examination determines how well your eyes can follow a moving object as well as fixate on different stationary targets.
- Refraction: The refraction is done to determine the patient’s prescription lenses. A refraction may include a couple of steps such as doing retinoscopy and using a phoropter to change the lenses in front of the patient.
- Retinoscopy: This is a test that allow us to obtain an approximate prescription for your spectacle lenses. During this test a retinoscope is used, where a light will be shined into the patient’s eye. The light shined in the eye causes a reflection that the optometrist sees that will be used to analyse the prescription needed to neutralize the reflex.
- Eye health: One of the most important things to check during a comprehensive eye exam is overall eye health. Some tests may be done to identify any eye conditions or diseases in and around the eye that might affect your vision and general health.
- Slit lamp test: This instrument is used to examine the internal and external parts of the eye in detail. This is instrument is also a great tool to use during a contact lens exam to determine the fit of contact lenses and health state of eye when there is a contact lens present.
- Ophthalmoscopy: Ophthalmoscopy is an examination of the back part of the eye (fundus), which includes the retina, optic disc, choroid, and blood vessels.
- Tonometry: We conduct this test to measure the pressure inside your eye or IOP (Intraocular Pressure). If this pressure is too high it can cause damage to your optic nerve and it may indicate that you have a risk for glaucoma. Glaucoma is an ocular disease that can cause vision loss and even blindness if left untreated.
A comprehensive eye exam is an important part of your overall general health maintenance and should be scheduled on a regular basis. The findings from your comprehensive eye exam can give the optometrist important information about your overall health, particularly diabetes and high blood pressure.
Drivers licence certificates will be awarded if the individual pass the minimum requirements for their licence code.
- Our certificates are accepted by all traffic departments.
- The screening test is R50 for a 10-15-minute consultation where we examine the patient’s visual acuity and visual fields.
Children screenings (6-12 years)
School performance starts with good vision. We offer a quick, free child screening for primary school children to check if they are ready for school and if they need a full eye test. We focus on daily visual skills for optimal learning, excellent visual acuity at all distances, comfortable eye learning and accurate eye movement.
It is important to note that this free screening will not replace a full test.
Contact lens examinations
We have a wide variety of frames available. A few well-known brands that we offer includes Esprit, Hugo Boss, Jeep, Eco, Sightique, Cube, Vogue, Cosmopolitan, Hero for men, Lupo&Co, Polaroid, etc.